I know I said that I would be reading the whole ASOIAF series this summer… But while packing up my books, I couldn’t resist the siren call of a familiar world – and now I’m reading the Wheel of Time series again.
Some people never read a book twice. I have a different approach. Some books/series offer me the escape from reality I so desperately need some days, and those are the books I’ll read more than once. The books/series I would put in this category are:
- Harry Potter (J.K. Rowling)
- Lord of the Rings, and The Hobbit (J.R.R. Tolkien)
- The Wheel of Time (Robert Jordan)
- The Belgariad & The Malloreon (and attached others from the series) (David Eddings)
- A small handful of Dianna Wynne Jones books that I’ve got (Hexwood, The Magicians Apprentice, and Fire & Hemlock are my favourites)
- All Terry Pratchett books
- The Dark Tower series (Stephen King)
- Outlander series (Diana Gabaldon)
I am clearly a fantasy nerd – and the thicker the books, the better. Once I eventually get around to reading ASOIAF, I’m sure it will also get added to this list. There are a few of these series that I don’t own personally, and if I feel the need to re-read them I have to track them down in the library – but I am working on fleshing out my collection so that I own all of the books that I like to re-read. I also tend to have all of these in hardcopy – because these are the books that I’ve decided are worth keeping.