These are fantastic as an easy breakfast option! Eaten as-is they’re great, but they’re even better if you warm them up in the microwave for 30 seconds, then put some butter on them OM NOM NOM NOM.
Be warned, any pets you have will probably pester you the entire time these are cooking (Jacket was convinced that I was cooking something that he’d like and that I wasn’t sharing… I eventually showed him the empty container the bolognese had been in and he was like “oh – that’s not what I wanted” and went to chase some bugs).
Original recipe is from here, but I made a few changes to simplify it and reduce the batch size. I halved the batch because I didn’t know if Hubby would eat these, and if I made more they might go yuck before I ate them all.
Makes: 6 muffins
- 1 cup bolognese sauce
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese + extra for topping muffins with
- 1 cup Self Raising flour
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1/8 cup oil (I don’t actually know how much oil this would be in ml, I just eye-balled the amount)
- Ensure bolognese sauce is completely defrosted (if it was frozen). Don’t use sauce that is still piping hot, as you’ll scramble the eggs. Preheat oven to 180°C. Line 6 holes of a 12-hole muffin pan with muffin cases.
- Combine flour and parmesan cheese in a bowl. Whisk together egg, milk and oil in a separate bowl.
- Add egg mixture and bolognese to flour and mix until just combined.
- Divide into prepared muffin tray, and top with additional parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 20-25mins or until golden and firm to touch. Cool in tray for 5mins before transferring to a cooling rack.